AI 101: Course Requirement

As it stands, talking about AI with other teaching fellows has made me feel less aggressive in nature when it comes up in conversation. I realize that everyday there are things in our lives that we use that have AI. However, that doesn’t change my trepidation when it is in relation to AI in the classroom, especially when teaching ENL 266. I’ve seen too many students hand in AI for a unit assignment rough draft, assuming that I would be non the wiser, when the work looks entirely unrelated to previous work that they have handed in to me.  In AI for Editing, written by Nupoor Ranade, an assignment is taken and given to students in order to properly assess comparison between the various versions of the generated content and it’s language readability.

Focusing on the two major questions that Ranade poses:

• What does editing with AI look like in practice, and what is the role of human editors in such environments?
  • What are the ethics of using these technologies?

We all, even outside of the academic workplace, must focus on the core idea that if AI is to be used in environments like school or work, what our job will be, in order to make sure that AI is used as a tool for good, rather than a pushed tool to carry students from the start of their project to the end.

Nupoor notes that the point of the document is to allow students to have the, “…opportunity to analyze the opportunities and challenges of AI technologies in the field of professional and technical writing situations.” And I feel that, even though I do not support AI in my personal life, this would be the best way to introduce AI in the classroom to the student. To teach them right from wrong, what is okay and not okay when involving AI, and how to use it to help their creative process and professional identity, rather than harm it.

I think the biggest argument I have in terms of this in MY classroom, is that it feels like tech com is not taken seriously by students, and allowing them to enter the classroom and use AI will continue to allow them to remain complacent and happy with their general disinterest in both communication and the English language. Instead, I would like to make them understand why AI can be helpful, rather than used to cheat, and how to tie in their interest of technology to writing. And honestly, what better way to do that than with AI?

One thought on “AI 101: Course Requirement

1. Favorite: “I would like to make them understand why AI can be helpful, rather than used to cheat, and how to tie in their interest of technology to writing.” Love how this post really ties into our class discussions about the economies of writing and thinking about the places AI can be used productively.